Off-Campus Counseling Resources

In addition to the short-term counseling services we offer, we also provide information regarding longer-term community services.  Students often seek off-campus support for conditions that require more intensive or specialized care.

Please note: More specialized, intesive, and/or long term mental health reatment is considered a personal healthcare responsibility and is not a service provided by the University. CAPS can assist you in providing resources and information in regards to connecting to treatment, support, or assistance in the community.  Information provded by CAPS does not constitute an official clinical or medical referral. 


CAPS is excited to offer GW students access to MiResource.  MiResource is a referral management platform designed to match students to the right mental health resources in their community. 

Search the MiResource Database Here

Do I need to use my health insurance to help pay for off-campus counseling? 

You are not required to use your insurance to help pay for off-campus care, but many people do. You are responsible for paying any fees you incur that are not covered by your health insurance. Click here for information about using your health insurance to pay for counseling

What if I have SHIP? 

If you have the student health insurance plan (SHIP) and want to visit an off-campus provider, it is best to find a provider who is in-network with SHIP. 

You can access a list of these providers on the Aetna Student Health Website for George Washington University.

What if I am covered by another health insurance?

If you have another insurance policy, you need to determine your policy's requirements by contacting your insurer directly. If you are on your parents' plan, you may have to speak with your parents to gain access to your insurance. Contact us if you need help deciding how to have this conversation with your parents, or if you want us to speak to your parents with your written permission.

Beyond MiResource, how else can I search for off-campus counseling? 

To utilize your individual health insurance coverage for counseling, you can also search for mental health providers using your insurance provider’s website. If you’re searching for a counselor, clinical social worker, psychologist or psychiatrist, you’ll likely need to use “Behavioral Health” as a search parameter.

Online resources and databases like Psychology Today and Good Therapy also can assist students searching for long-term providers in the community.

CAPS is also excited to offer our How to Find a Therapist 101 workshop that arms students with information about how to navigate locating a long term therapuetic provider and reccomended resources. We also make our How to Find a Therapist 101 Packet available tp the GW community below should you wish to access this informaiton without engaging with CAPS. Please note this packet will be updated each semester and we strongly encourage students to work with CAPS to help them navigate the nuance of locating a therapuetic provider in the DC area.

How to Find a Therapist 101 Info Packet Spring 2022

You are welcome to come in or contact us at [email protected] for support accessing community resources or a mental health provider.