Thank you for your interest in our Doctoral General Track Externship. Unfortunately, we will not be accepting applications for the 2020-2021 Academic year for our Therapy focused Externship. We hope to offer positions in the 2021-2022 Academic year. Please email [email protected] if there are any questions.
Objectives and Overview
The Colonial Health Center (CHC) at George Washington University will be offering a 9-month, 20-24 hour/week predoctoral externship program for students in Counselor Education & Supervision doctoral programs for the 2019-2020 academic year. Externs must be available from approximately August 1, 2019 to May 31, 2020, and are expected to be on-site on Tuesdays from 9:00 am - 5:00 pm. Orientation training will take place in August 2019 prior to the start of the academic year. The externship program is ideal for post-masters, pre-licensure Counselor Education & Supervision doctoral students with at least two years of prior clinical experience and interest in working with a diverse student population within a university counseling center.
Core Training Opportunities
- Direct clinical service hours (including individual and group therapy, intake assessments, triage).
- Individual and group supervision.
- Didactic seminar (bi-weekly 1 hour diversity and training seminars).
- Outreach to the larger GW campus community.
- Multicultural competence development (externs will be provided opportunities to develop their skills in multicultural awareness via diversity and training seminar, clinical services, supervision, outreach and additional activities).
- Evaluation and feedback (externs will have the opportunity to receive and provide feedback informally via supervision and more formally at the conclusion of each academic semester).
The positions are unpaid and require 20-24 hours per week. Interested applicants are required to submit: 1) a cover letter, 2) CV, and 3) Two (2) letters of reference via email to [email protected].
The deadline for submitting application materials is Friday, January 25, 2019 by 5 pm (EST).
Interviews for selected applicants will be held in February/March in the Colonial Health Center.
- Stepped Care Counseling
- Suicide Prevention
- Crisis Hotlines and Resources
- Mental Health Assessments
- Off-Campus Counseling Referrals
- Train With Us