The District of Columbia Immunization Law requires that all students under the age of 26 enrolled at the University, provide proof of certain immunizations prior to registration. Newly-admitted undergraduate, graduate, non-degree, or transfer students at the George Washington University (GW) who fit the above criteria are required to provide proof of immunization or they will incur a registration hold on their student account. All immunization forms are submitted online through the student portal at mychc.gwu.edu.
Note: August 1, 2022 was the recommended deadline date for new, incoming students enrolling in classes in Fall 2022 to upload/submit their immunization records. Click here for instructions on how to upload the COVID-19 vaccination document. These records will take our staff some time to review and we appreciate your patience as we review your records carefully. Please check back with us when you arrive in Fall if the portal lists any non-compliant vaccinations. Non-COVID vaccines are not required for course registration for Fall.
For questions, please email [email protected]. Please provide your GWid in your message.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement for Fall 2022 New, Incoming Students
GW requires all members of our community to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including a booster shot, or have an exemption on file. To be fully vaccinated means completing your first booster five months after two doses of Pfizer or Moderna and two months after one dose of Johnson & Johnson. Students are not required to complete the second booster that is currently recommended for individuals over 50 or who are immunosuppressed.
All new, incoming undergraduate students (first-years and transfers) must upload their vaccine documentation by August 1. If you are not in compliance with GW’s vaccine and booster requirement by August 1, you will not be able to move into your residence halls and will not be able to register for fall classes on your designated registration day.
All new, incoming graduate, law and medical students must upload their COVID-19 vaccination documentation and have it verified before they are able to register for fall classes based on their program’s registration schedule.
The following guidance will apply to this new requirement:
- Any vaccine authorized by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or the World Health Organization (WHO) will be accepted. This information may change as the FDA and WHO authorize (or approve) additional vaccines.
- Current students, faculty, and staff should upload their vaccination card to the medical portal. Instructions for this process are available here.
We will grant limited exemptions, such as for medical or religious reasons.
All GW community members who come to campus are required to be vaccinated.
We will exercise discretion in enforcing the mandate for those who have extenuating circumstances that are beyond their control and that will cause delays in vaccination.
PLEASE NOTE: Your immunization records (separate from COVID-19) will be reviewed in the order received. Thank you for your patience while we carefully review your records. If the team has any questions or concerns about your submission, they will reach out to you directly through the mychc.gwu.edu portal.
How to Submit Your Immunization Record
In order to properly submit your immunization record, please see the following instructions:
- Click here to access the patient portal and sign-in with your GW Email Address and password. Ensure that you are trying to log on in Google Chrome, Safari, or Firefox.
- Click on the “Medical Clearances” tab on the left side of the screen.
- Under “Medical Clearances” click on the green “Update” button to upload a photo or scan of your immunization record. Please ensure that all documents are legible.
- Please note: If you are waiving your Meningococcal vaccination, upload the waiver form here as well.
- Click on each the green “Update” button next to each type of immunization and enter in the dates of immunization. You must enter in all of your dates for the required immunizations in order for us to verify your record.
- Once you have updated all of your immunization dates, a staff member at CHC will review your record.
In order to add new documentation to update your immunization record please do the following:
- Click on the "Medical Clearances" tab.
- Click on the green update button next to "Immunization Record". This will allow you to update your documentation only.
- DO NOT Click on the specific vaccination you are trying to update.
- *Please note you cannot change previously entered information, updating your document will prompt us to make the necessary changes to the appropriate vaccination(s).
- Full series of a COVID-19 vaccine. Please see the coronavirus website for more information.
- One Tetanus Diphtheria booster or Tdap vaccine given within the last 10 years.
- Two vaccinations against Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) given after age one and a minimum of 30 days apart, or provide laboratory proof of immunity.
- Two vaccinations against Varicella (Chicken Pox) given after age one and a minimum of 30 days apart, or provide history of Varicella (Chicken Pox) disease, or provide laboratory proof of immunity.
- Three vaccinations against Hepatitis B: dose two given 30 days after dose one, dose three given five months after dose two, or according to the Hepatitis accelerated schedule, or provide laboratory proof of immunity.
- One Meningococcal vaccine (ACYW-135) given on or after their 16th birthday, or a signed Waiver Request Form (PDF).
- International Students need required immunizations and are also strongly encouraged to complete a TB screening (PPD).
All immunizations are done by appointment only.
Please call 202-994-5300 to schedule an immunization appointment.
Medical Services offers certain vaccines, including those recommended for travelers by the CDC:
- Gardasil (HPV) (requires three doses) - $250/each
- Hepatitis A (requires two doses) - $100/each
- Hepatitis B (requires three doses) - $85/each
- Hepatitis B (two dose) - $150/each
- Influenza - $25 (seasonal)
- Injection Charge - $5/each
- Meningococcal (Meningitis) - $150 (one dose after 16th birthday)
- MMR (requires two doses) - $100/each
- PPD (TB Test) - $20
- Tetanus/diphtheria and Pertussis (tdap) - $65
- Tetanus/diphtheria - $60
- Typhoid - $130
- Varicella/Chickenpox (requires two doses) - $150/each
Testing for Immunity (Titers)
- Hepatitis B Surface Antibody Test (Titer/Blood Test) - $25
- MMR Antibody Test (Titer/Blood Test) - $50
- Varicella Antibody Test (Titer/Blood Test) - $25
Students seeking exemption from any of the immunization requirements for medical or religious reasons must submit:
A letter from the student or parent/legal guardian requesting a medical exemption along with a letter from a medical clinician supporting the exemption.
A letter from the student or parent/legal guardian requesting a religious exemption.
Where to submit Exemption documents:
For Students over 26 or Students under 26 requesting COVID-19 Exemption Only:
- Upload your documents to the medical portal under Medical Clearance;
- Click the green Update button next to Add COVID-19 Vaccine Record;
- Upload all supporting documents and exemption letters.
For Immunization Exemption for Students Under 26:
- Upload your documents to the medical portal under medical clearance;
- Click on the green Update button next to Immunization Record;
- Upload all supporting documents and exemption letters;
- Upload Titer Antibody Lab Results for MMR and Varicella.
Your student account will incur a registration hold if complete immunization records are not received by our office by the deadline required. After we receive your complete immunization records, the hold will be lifted. To see if your hold has been lifted:
- Login to the GWeb Info System.
- Select: Student Records & Registration -> Student Records Information Menu -> View Administrative Holds.
- If you see "Incomplete Immunization Status," it means that your record was either not received or is incomplete. If there is no Student Health hold listed, your record is received and complete.