A counselor is available to speak with students in crisis 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.
During Consultation Hours
Monday - Friday | 12 - 4 pm
Students in crisis needing urgent support during consultation hours can access support by calling the SHC at (202) 994-5300.
If students in crisis call (202) 994-5300 (option 2) outside of our consultation hours, they will be asked a few questions to determine their immediate needs before being directed to a CAPS on-call clinician.
If you are having an urgent medical issue, please call (202) 994-5300. During business hours a clinician will discuss your concerns and recommend next steps. After hours, you will speak with a nurse triage service who will also provide you with recommendations.
Local Emergency Rooms
If you feel you must see a medical provider and the SHC is not open, here are some local options to obtain care:
228 7th St. SE
Washington, DC 20003
900 23rd St NW
Washington, DC 20037
5255 Loughboro Rd NW
Washington DC 20016
Potentially Life-Threatening Emergencies
- Any condition that feels life threatening
- Alcohol or other types of poisoning
- Major injuries, such as bone protruding through skin
- Unconsciousness - unable to rouse
- Severe difficulty breathing, shortness of breath
- Chest or abdominal pain or pressure
- Fainting, sudden dizziness, weakness
- Changes in vision
- Confusion or changes in mental status
- Any sudden or severe pain
- Uncontrolled bleeding
- Severe or persistent vomiting or diarrhea
- Coughing or vomiting blood
- Suicidal feelings
- Difficulty speaking
- Unusual/ severe abdominal pain
If you are off-campus, call 911 or report to the nearest emergency room.
Remember to bring your ID, copy of your insurance card, immunization record, and medication and allergy list. All fees incurred will be your responsibility.