The George Washington University (GW) offers a comprehensive Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) through Aetna Student Health.
Health insurance guarantees that you can obtain necessary treatment if you develop a serious illness or injury. It also guarantees that you can obtain preventative medical services like immunizations and physical exams.
In accordance with the Affordable Care Act, some of the benefits that are offered by the GW SHIP include:
- An unlimited lifetime maximum benefit
- Prescription coverage after $100 deductible
- Preventative services covered at 100% (at preferred providers)
- Contraception covered 100% (at preferred providers)
Fall 2017 Open Enrollment: August 1st - September 30th
2017-2018 Waiver Period: August 1st - September 30th
Student Health Insurance Requirement
ALL medical, on-campus nursing, on-campus Health Science, and ALL international students holding a J1 or F1 visa are required to carry student health insurance while they study at GW.
These students will be automatically enrolled in the GW SHIP and must submit an opt-out waiver if they have another insurance plan that meets the required criteria listed below.
Use Your Student Health Insurance Plan
If you have GW SHIP coverage, need to see a doctor, and are within 25 miles of campus, you should first seek treatment at the Colonial Health Center (CHC).
If you are traveling, or would otherwise like to find a provider outside of the CHC that accept the GW SHIP insurance, please visit Aetna Student Health DocFind. For other situations, review your coverage details to understand your plan benefits.
For more information on the GW SHIP or on mandatory health insurance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the Health Insurance Coordinator, 202-994-5300, option 5.
If you were automatically enrolled in GW SHIP and would like to opt-out of the coverage, the waiver period for the Fall 2017 semester students begins August 1, 2017 and the deadline to waive is September 30, 2017. Waivers are completed directly through Aetna Student Health.
Be sure that your alternate insurance plan meets the waiver criteria:
- Must be provided by a company licensed to do business in the United States, with a U.S. claims payment office and a U.S. telephone number.
- Must be currently active and you must promise to maintain it during the entire period you are registered for the current academic school term.
- Must provide an annual minimum of $100,000 in coverage for each accident or illness you may suffer each policy year.
- Must include coverage for prescriptions (medications prescribed by a physician).
- Must cover pre-existing conditions (illnesses or medical conditions that began before the effective date of the insurance coverage) with no waiting period (or the plan must have been in effect long enough that any waiting period has already passed).
- Must cover inpatient and outpatient medical and mental health care in the Washington, DC area, including alcohol, drug abuse and detoxification treatment. Emergency-only coverage does not satisfy this requirement.
- Must cover expenses related to self-inflicted injuries and suicide.
- Must have a maximum deductible of $500 for international students or $1,500 for domestic students.
- Must provide at least $50,000 for medical evacuation, which is transportation to your home country so that you can receive medical care there.
- Must provide at least $25,000 for repatriation of remains. Repatriation provides transportation to your home country in the event of your death.
Please note that travel insurance is not eligible for an exemption or waiver.
You must be registered for classes in order to waive out of the GW SHIP. You must submit a waiver request annually, each academic year. Waivers do not carry over from year to year.